Thursday, March 1, 2012

John Thompson, A King Among Men

Legendary Basketball Coach and Sports analyst John Thompson, the Great John Thompson, ended his storied Washington, DC-based radio program recently. And while we all know of his incredibly well-thought-out takes on the sports universe, few of us know how deep to the core the man wished to share his profound sagacity with anyone who had the courage and was willing to learn. It was a dark, late, summer night several decades ago when I was walking out of a DC nightspot- suddenly I was accosted by several youths. They beat me pretty bad, and had absconded with all my money.  Sadly, no one had witnessed the event and there was no one nearby to help. This was in the days before cellphones so I asked people as they passed by for help. No one would help me. Finally, I became desperate and began asking anyone who passed for a quarter so I could find a payphone somewhere. A large hulking figure approached. Yes, it was John Thompson. Before I could speak, he surveyed the severity of my condition and flipped me a quarter. He then spoke in a booming voice, which had the authority to me at the time of the “Voice of God”. His words were delivered in a stark and somber tone. “Son,” he said, “Life will only give to you what you ask of it.” I will never forget those words. Even though, yes, he could have helped me by driving me to a local hospital or by helping me get to a police officer, I was forever in his debt, that he took the time to deliver these inspiring words of wisdom. Life "Coach" Thompson indeed! 

No comments: